Radiotherapy Accounts

  • Accounts for consultations with the doctor are to be settled on the same day:

    • An Initial Consultation with the Radiation Oncologist is $220 (subject to change without notice), Medicare refunds approximately $76.15; and
    • A Subsequent Consultation with the Radiation Oncologist is $120 (subject to change without notice), Medicare refunds approximately $38.25;
  • Your second account will be for the planning of the Radiation Therapy Treatment. This will include your Simulation scan and Planning. At this time the you will receive an estimate of fees for your Radiation Therapy Treatment. The planning account is due on the day.

    Please note if a “cast” is required for your Radiation Therapy Treatment it will be billed separately, as these cannot be claimed through Medicare or your private health. The “cast” is charged at a standard fee of $60 (small) or $100 (large) Subject to change without notice, to cover our costs of providing this service to you.

  • An estimate of the cost of your radiation therapy treatment will be provided to you at the time of your planning. Radiation Therapy treatment will be charged at the Medicare Schedule fee. Treatment accounts are rendered weekly and these accounts can be collected for payment every Tuesday from the Front Reception.

  • Please pay full amount owing when you pick up your treatment account on a Tuesday. Once paid and a receipt is issued, we are able to claim on your behalf the rebate from Medicare via Medicare Online.

    Important note

    If you feel that your financial circumstances are such that you may have difficulty paying for the required treatment please discuss this with our Accounts Staff or your Radiation Oncologist as they may be able to offer some form of assistance.
  • The cheques/rebate that you receive from Medicare will cover 75% of the Schedule fee if you are an inpatient (this means you are admitted to a private hospital at the time of treatment and as such your private health fund will generally cover the remaining 25% of the Schedule fee) or 85% of the Schedule fee if you are an out-patient (travelling to and from the Riverina Cancer Care Centre daily.

    The ‘Gap’ (the difference between the Medicare Schedule fee and the Medicare Rebate) can be paid by cash, money order, Eftpos or credit card (we do not accept personal cheque, business cheque, Diner’s club and American Express Credit Cards).

  • Medicare initially pays 85% of the Schedule fee for outpatients. Once you have paid approximately $480 of this 15% gap (the difference between the Medicare benefit and the Schedule fee), you are said to have reached the “Safety Net”. Any accounts submitted to Medicare after you have reached the Safety Net will attract a 100% rebate of the Schedule fee rather than the 85% rebate. The Safety Net is valid for a calendar year.

    However, often you would not have reached the Safety Net prior to the submission of the final account. If this is the case, Medicare will only have rebated 85% of your account. To receive the further 15% refund, Medicare requires you to pay the balance of your accounts to us first then present your receipts to Medicare. Medicare then should refund you the amount that you have spent in excess of $480 in gap payments (the difference between the Medicare benefit and the Schedule fee).

    If you have not registered for the Safety Net you may not be entitled to this additional refund from Medicare. Please contact Medicare on 132 011 to determine if you are registered.
  • It is very important to have an up-to-date referral when you are seeing the Doctor.

    Medicare may pay at a lower rate or refuse to pay at all if your referral has expired. A specialist referral is valid for 3 months and GP referral is valid for 12 months. So that you can obtain the maximum rebate from Medicare, if your referral is not up- to- date please see your GP and request an indefinite/ongoing referral.

    To determine the status of your referral or if you have any questions relating to these procedures or about an account that you have received please do not hesitate to contact the Accounts Department on (02) 69321000.

2022 Quality Statement

“Excellence in Care”

The provision of excellent care to Riverina Cancer Care Centre (RCCC) patients is achieved by Centre staff and Volunteers’ participation in and observance of the Centre’s Quality system in the performance of their roles. Cooperation, collaboration, communication and mutual respect are critical to provision of excellent care.





RCCC Opening Hours

MON 7:30am - 5:00pm
TUE 7:30am - 5:00pm
WED 7:30am - 5:00pm
THU 7:30am - 5:00pm
FRI 7:30am - 5:00pm
SAT closed
SUN closed

After Hours Emergency: Please access your local hospital emergency department.

Contact Us